Return

The public can join the meeting to provide public comment. Please notify Alan Keay at Alan.Keay@flagstaffaz.gov if you need any assistance joining the meeting. 

NOTICE AND AGENDA

ATTENTION
IN-PERSON AUDIENCES AT COMMISSION MEETINGS HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE


Click here to join the meeting

NOTICE AND AGENDA
 
COMMISSION ON INCLUSION AND ADAPTIVE LIVING
DAY OF WEEK: Tuesday
DATE: 12/28/2021
  VIRTUAL TEAMS MEETING: Click here to join the meeting
211 WEST ASPEN AVENUE
12:00 P.M.
             
1. Call to Order
             
2. Roll Call
NOTE: One or more Commission Members may be in attendance telephonically or by other technological means.
James Martinez, Chair
Monica Attridge

James Hasapis
Russell Randall, Vice Chair
             
3. Recommended Protocol for Members and Other Participants

All commissioners should have their microphones on mute to keep the background noise out of the chat room. The chair of the meeting should ensure everyone has an opportunity to speak if they would like. Commissioners should use the chat function to inform the Chair they would like to make a statement and the Chair will announce the Commissioners to speak in the order they appear in the chat.
             
4. Public Participation

The Commission cannot act upon items presented during the Public Participation portion of the Agenda. Individual Commission members may ask questions of the public but are prohibited by the Open Meeting Law from discussion or considering the item among themselves until the item is officially placed on the Agenda. Each public comment or presentation will be limited to five (5) minutes.
  None
             
5. Information Items To/From Inclusion and adaptive living Committee Members

Mayor Deasy- The City has been a little delayed due to supply chain issues to get the equipment for closed captions, we are working hard to get the equipment to us for our deaf and differently disabled community.

Vice Chair Russell Randall- step in for Estella Hollander-Transportation and Go project-is off to a good start. People are starting to use the service and the first two weeks of December doubled the previous two weeks in November as far as usage. Also, community of practice transition team, big month activity going over how the transition fair went, statewide movement is to have all the local teams communicate and work with the statewide program.

Vice Chair Russell Randall also mentioned that he is working with the folks in tuba City.

Chairperson Jamie Martinez thanked Vice Chair Russell Randall for that report.
             
6. Staff Participation
             
A. Staff Liaison Alan Keay stated, he didn’t have anything new for the commission

Martin Ince – stated you will be invited to a meeting of the City’s transportation commission the afternoon of January 5th, 2022. Discussion of Loan Tree overpass project. We will advertise for boards and commission to be invited, but don’t have to have a quorum to participate in the meeting. The transportation committee will have a quorum.

Alan Keay – stated he forwarded the email for the invitation last week.
             
7.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Monica Attridge made a motion to approve the minutes of the November 30th, 2021 meeting.
Vice Chair Russell Randall second the motion.
             
8. Date of Next Meeting - January 28, 2022
             
9. ACTION ITEMS
             
A. Alan Keay Human Resource Manager gave a presentation on How People who are differently disabled are represented as City of Flagstaff employees.

Recruitment- provides interpreters for candidates who are hearing impaired or deaf, provide assistance with filing out applications for those who are visually impaired or who do not have access to applications through the internet. We will make every effort possible to make reasonable accommodations for the differently disabled throughout the recruitment process to ensure the process is fair and equitable.

Our online application via NEO GOV is follows the 508 Overview.
According to section 503 Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended we are required to survey all employees every 5 years to update their disability status. The information is used to ensure the City’s is meeting requirements with the EEO and the differently disabled. Although the City is required to request the employee self-Identifying Form and explanation given as to why a person is being asked to fill out the form, filling it out and submitting it is optional. The voluntary self-identifying form list different types of disabilities.

Statistical analysis of forms sent out in 2020, the form was sent out to 732 employees Respondents was 2% or 14.64 self-identifying as having some type of disability. 98 percent chose “I do not wish to answer.”

We are looking at adding additional information to our recruitment process with the hopes that it would help people when applying for City to self-identify. We also adhere to the ADA policy and the information is provided in our onboard training.

Chairperson Jamie Martinez stated, he was thrilled with the presentation it seems like the City is right on par with what we should be doing to accommodate people with disabilities. The voluntary self-identifying form is a good thing, is there a reason as to why 98 percent is not being disclosed.

Alan Keay stated, I think part of it, is overlooked via the email process, one of the opportunities we have with this is more training with the city of flagstaff staff regarding the differently disabled and self-reporting.

Chairperson Jamie Martinez I hoping to see that 2% numbers rise up.

Vice chair Russell Randall stated what your numbers show 2% identifying as having a disability and 98 percent chose not to respond to all.

Alan Keay- stated chose not to respond, the survey came out before I came to work at the city, I see an opportunity in terms of awareness and training to make it a part of the application process and make training available through our LEARN process.

Vice Chair Russell Randall stated I would like to see an annual report on the self-identifying. I would strongly encourage our Human resource department to provide training for the entire city relative to disabilities.

Alan Keay- agreed. he stated, we can reach out to leadership and extended leadership to move forward training with all city training.
Chairperson Jamie Martinez stated, he would love to be a part of the training. Russell Randall agreed that he would volunteer for the training.

Martin Ince- stated, he wondered if there were limitations on what we should ask during the job interview process.

Chairperson Jamie Martinez stated, that technically we are not supposed to ask question about being differently disabled.

Alan Keay stated, that is correct we do not ask, but do have it in job descriptions where the questions are based on the essential functions of the job.

Jamie Hapsis asked, if we go through additional training regarding ADA and differently disabled?

Alan Keay stated, yes, during the onboarding process, training to leadership and supervisors.

Jamie Hasapis stated okay, I know there is still stigma’s being attached to those who have things like heart disease etc... and people are fearful of disclosing.

Lisa Keita stated, A lot of times people don’t fill out the survey’s because they are not aware of the support they have for a disability. We have an opportunity to do better of getting that information out to people to let them know the City of Flagstaff does support their needs.

Chairperson Jamie Martinez stated, this was a really great discussion, maybe we can do a one-page notice of what the city offer in terms of differently disabled support and resources available to them.

Alan Keay stated, it is great idea.
             
10. REPORTS/DISCUSSION ITEMS:
Martin Ince, Mobility Project manager: Grant update regarding buffalo Park.

Martin Ince stated, that the grant for approval for 100,000 the grant was approved, a little bit of work to do to get the grant agreement signed it will take a couple of months, early part of next year.

Chairperson Jamie Martinez thanked Martin Ince for the update.

Vice Chair Russell Randall, asked will part of the funds will be used for the foot?

Martin Ince stated, yes that is correct it will be.
             
11. AGENDA FOR NEXT MEETING

Chairperson Martinez, stated will be have a Discussion of Flood plains at our next meeting.

Vice person Russell Randall stated we will hold that discussion in January when the personnel is here, as well as the discussion on Sunnyside barriers.

Chairperson Jamie Martinez, we will have both of those discussion on January 25th, 2022
             
12. ADJOURNMENT

Chair person Jamie Martinez, adjourned meeting at 1:01pm, on December 28th, 2021
CERTIFICATE OF POSTING OF NOTICE

The undersigned hereby certifies that a copy of the foregoing notice was duly posted at Flagstaff City Hall on                      , at                a.m./p.m. This notice has been posted on the City's website and can be downloaded at www.flagstaff.az.gov.

Dated this               day of                                       , 2021.



__________________________________________
Alan Keay, Human Resources Manager

    

Level double AA conformance,
                W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0

AgendaQuick ©2005 - 2022 Destiny Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.